Looking to Rent?
As renting property is outweighing purchasing in the UK for the first time since the 1930s, it might be that you’re one of our customers who are looking to rent in the local area. If you’ve never rented before, or even if you have, it’s worth compiling a bit of a checklist for when you look to find that home to call your own.
First thing’s first, you need to know about the area and the location you’re looking to move to. If you’re new to East Anglia, come and have a chat with our friendly team who will be more than happy to help advise on the best locations for your specific requirements. Think about things that are relevant: crime rates, flood risks, transport links, school runs and catchment areas, all these elements need to be investigated prior to arranging a viewing.
Ask us about your concerns and we’ll investigate for you.
Secondly, think about what you need included in a home. Do you need the property furnished, or are you bringing furniture with you? You also need to ask, once you’ve found a property you like, what comes with the property: are curtains, white goods and blinds included?
It’s also important to think about whether you need parking. You could be given an allocated space, or you might need to pay for a permit. If you don’t need parking, how far away is public transport from the property?
Then, it’s time to look at properties! The fun part for many, you get to look at different properties to see what you like and decide which houses or apartments suit you. We would suggest making a viewing checklist, even if it’s in your head, so you can tick off areas of concern.
For instance, think about the following:
- Are gutters or any pipes leaking?
- Is there an outdoor water supply, will you need one?
- Are there gardens? Will these need maintaining?
- Do all lights work?
- Do taps work?
- Are there enough electrical sockets?
- What type of boiler is at the property?
- What’s the water pressure like?
- Is the property double-glazed?
- Do windows and doors open easily and close properly – and are there suitable locks on all the doors?
- Is there a phone line working at the property?
- Does the property currently allow for Internet or TV services? What are these? Are you allowed to put up a dish for your TV?
- What is the storage space like? Are there drawers in the kitchen? (sounds silly, but it’s been known to happen!)
Ask us as we’re showing you around so we can give you all the information you need.
Make sure you ask for a copy of the property certificates, including the energy performance certificate (EPC), as well as gas and electrical safety certificates. The EPC can tell you a lot about a property; the better the rating, the lower your utility bills are likely to be.
Then come the important administration and payment questions. Make sure you find out the monthly rental cost, what is included within this amount and what additional bills you’ll need to pay. You’ll want to ask about deposits, how much you need to pay and how this is protected. What notice period is required to vacate the property, as well as the insurance you and your landlord will need.
Find out more
We’re here to help you find the perfect place to rent, as well as answer those all important questions so please just ask and we’ll do our best to help. To book a viewing, contact our team here.